Handyman didn’t act alone in Bailey murder, police say
By Paul T. Rosynsky, Chauncey Bailey Project
Even though a 19-year-old handyman at Your Black Muslim Bakery told investigators he acted alone in the ambush killing of Oakland Post Editor Chauncey Bailey, a high-ranking police official said Monday authorities believe he had help.
“We don’t believe he acted on his own,”said Assistant Chief Howard Jordan. “We’re still working on how that plan was developed.”
Devaughndre Broussard, 19, confessed late Friday night to the killing of Bailey, a former Tribune reporter, who was hit several times at point-blank range from shotgun blasts Thursday morning as he walked to work.
Jordan said Monday that Bailey had been working on a story about financial troubles the bakery was having and that the story upset Broussard.
“The motive, we believe, is that Chauncey Bailey was working on a story about some of the financial shortfalls,” Jordan said. “He was an innocent person just doing his job.”
Police continue to search for the van used in Bailey’s killing. Although the white Ford Aerostar has not been found, police said they have an idea where it is located.
Jordan also announced that the police expect charges to be filed against two other men arrested Friday during a raid of Your Black Muslim Bakery in relation to another crime that occurred in May.
In that case, Joshua Bey, 20, and Tamon Halfin, 21, are expected to be charged with kidnapping and robbery for an incident that occurred in East Oakland, Jordan said.
Police said at least one woman was abducted from her car, held captive and beaten. She required numerous stitches in the head after she was released.
Although police have yet to connect the group’s leader, Yusef Bey IV, with any crime, Jordan said an investigation continues and Bey IV will remain behind bars on a warrant issued by the San Francisco Police Department.
That $375,000 warrant was issued for failure to appear in court on an assault case in San Francisco.
Bey IV also is being held without bail on suspicion of kidnapping for ransom in connection with the woman’s abduction.
And, Jordan said, police continue to search for three others affiliated with the bakery.
“Others may be charged later on,” Jordan said during a news conference Monday morning. “This case, we are going to be investigating it up until a trial.”
Police are also still investigating two homicides that occurred in July within a few blocks of the bakery.
Though none of those arrested Friday has been booked with those crimes, police said Monday the slayings could be connected to the bakery.
“We believe these murders are connected but we are still gathering evidence,” Jordan said.