Chauncey Bailey Project

Archive for November, 2008

Commentary: Overseas Press Club calls for re-opening of Chauncey Bailey murder investigation

COMMENTARY – It is rare that The Overseas Press Club of America finds it necessary to speak out for freedom of the press in the United States. But the case of Chauncey Bailey, murdered editor of the Oakland Post, demands that we join the voices of so many others in calling for a fresh investigation of his murder.

State probe into police handling of journalist slaying expands

State probe into police handling of journalist slaying expands

The Oakland Police internal affairs and state Department of Justice investigations into the handling of journalist Chauncey Bailey’s killing have expanded beyond that case’s lead detective to now include two top city police officials, according to sources with knowledge of the matter. Deputy Chief Jeffrey Loman and homicide Lt. Ersie Joyner are now under investigation along with Detective Sgt. Derwin Longmire, sources said Friday.

Commentary: Oakland Police Deny Chauncey Bailey Probe Is Flawed

COMMENTARY – “Police say the probe of journalist Chauncey Bailey’s 2007 killing isn’t flawed and that the case’s lead detective, Sgt. Derwin Longmire, didn’t interfere in other felony cases involving its key suspect, even as an internal affairs investigation of him continues,” Thomas Peele, Bob Butler and Mary Fricker reported Monday for the Chauncey Bailey Project.

Commentary: Barack Obama and Chauncey Bailey

COMMENTARY – A confluence of thoughts hit me Monday: The Chauncey Bailey Project, the Oakland Tribune, the Pulitzer Prize, Oakland’s disturbing crime situation, Barack Obama, Paul Cobb, and the last time I saw Chauncey Bailey, one week before his killing. -Dave Newhouse, Bay Area News Group

Commentary: Bailey slaying to be investigated anew

COMMENTARY — The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes the decision by California authorities to undertake additional investigations into the August 2007 murder of U.S. editor Chauncey Bailey. The move follows a lengthy report by a consortium of San Francisco Bay-area news organizations and journalists known as the Chauncey Bailey Project. In an October 25 report, the group outlined alleged police irregularities in the investigation; other questions were raised earlier this year by the CBS News program “60 Minutes.”

Bailey Project stands behind its report on police investigation

Bailey Project stands behind its report on police investigation

Oakland police, in a press release reacting to reporting by the Chauncey Bailey Project, say their probe of journalist Chauncey Bailey’s 2007 killing is not flawed. But The Chauncey Bailey Project stands behind the stories it published and broadcast the week of Oct. 26 about Sgt. Derwin Longmire’s handling of the Bailey investigation, Executive Editor Robert J. Rosenthal said Monday.

Commentary: Bailey case investigation an utter mess

COMMENTARY – For all these months, Oakland police have had in their possession key pieces of evidence that could help prove that Chauncey Bailey’s killing was a conspiracy and not the work of a lone gunman. What have they done with this important information? Nothing. -Tammerlin Drummond, Bay Area News Group

Recent Archives

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux