Record shows Bey IV not truthful about Bailey killing
By Thomas Peele, The Chauncey Bailey Project
Police reports, documents, video and audio tapes show former Your Black Muslim Bakery leader Yusuf Bey IV was more involved in journalist Chauncey Bailey’s Aug. 2. 2007 killing than he has admitted. They include:
• Seven hours before the killing Bey IV and two of followers, Antoine Mackey and Devaughndre Broussard, park outside Chauncey Bailey’s apartment for about 17 minutes. Bey IV takes a call from JR Valrey, a radio show host who is friends with Bailey. Valrey denied the call was about Bailey.
• At about 6 a.m. on Aug. 2, 2007 Bey IV gets the keys to a white van without license plates from a contractor working at Your Black Muslim Bakery. He tells the van owner he needs to go Costco. Witness later tell police the masked man who killed bailey jumped in a white van without license plates.
Special investigation: Jailhouse calls between Bey IV, detective revealed
KTVU-TV report: Taped phone conversations reveal questionable relationship between Bey and investigator.
Audio: Telephone calls June 28, 2008, and August 10, 2008, between Yusuf Bey IV and Sgt. Derwin Longmire
Sidebar: Record shows Bey IV not truthful about Bailey killing
• Within minutes of the killing, Bey IV’s cell phone receives two calls from the owner of the van. Bey IV call Mackey, speaking for nearly a minute, then called the van owner. The van is returned minutes later.
• While watching a television news report on the killing hours later, Bey IV said loudly that the slaying “will teach them to (explanative) with us,” according to a bakery worker who later told police about hearing him.
• Det. Sgt Derwin Longmire, the lead investigator on the case, left Bey IV alone in a police interrogation room for one of his followers, Devaughndre Broussard, for seven minutes without recording their conversation. Broussard then confesses, but later recants, saying Bey IV ordered him to “protect the bakery.”
• Bey IV denied repeatedly in District Attorney’s investigators that he went anywhere near Bailey’s apartment before the killing. But confronted with evidence from a tracking device on his car, he changed his story and admitted to going there.
• Bey IV was captured on a secretly recorded police video mocking the fatal blast to bailey’s head and saying he put the shotgun used to kill the journalist in his bedroom closet after the attack. Bey IV boasted that his friend Longmire, is protecting him from charges. He also boasts that he ordered Broussard to confess.
• A confidential informant told DA investigators bey IV bragged in jail about ordering a hit on Bailey and providing Longmire with women who provided sexual favors.